Here I am back at JJBuckley after a little Holiday break full of family fun, eating, drinking, hiking, and mushroom hunting. Below are tasting notes for a few wines I tasted at work this week... Please note even though I am in the business, my tasting notes are in no way biased by what we sell. I will tell the world when I think a wine truly sucks...
2005 Chateau de Rochemorin Blanc (Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux, France) Tasted 1/5/2009
Pale golden yellow hue with a brilliant 24k rim. The piercing minerality reveals itself early and up front on the nose of this full-bodied and well balanced Bordeaux Blanc. If offers supptuous aromas of lychee fruit, peach marmalade, and fresh cut citrus with a hint of fresh grass. Well structured up front with Meyer Lemon curd and grapefruit with a beautiful streak of minerality that finds its was through the lengthy finish.
NOTE: Bordeaux Blanc seems to be one of the best values in the wine world today. This wine costs about $10 and drinks beautifully now, but can withstand a few years in the cellar as well in order to tone down the raging acidity/minerality (two things that I really enjoy in white wines)
2006 Chateau Ste Michelle Chenin Blanc Horse Heaven Hills Ice Wine (Washington State, USA) Tasted 1/6/2009
Deep Golden yellow in color with a translucent gold rim. This is a lovely dessert wine replete with notes of honeysuckle, dried pineapple, golden raisin, and gala apple, which settle in nicely with some brilliant orange quince aromas. Very clean and fresh. On the pallate awaits well delineated flavors of quince and honey with a distinctive botrytis component. There is good acidity towards the back, which gives this beauty a refreshing character as the sweetness takes hold. Long finish of golden fruits. Perfect compliment with blue cheese, nuts, and crisp apples.
As far as a domestic sweet wine goes this is top notch... Although it seems to be ageworthy, I'd drink it up while your Yquem is asleep in the cellar.
2007 Rudd Sauvignon Blanc (Napa, CA) Tasted 1/9/2009
Compared to previous vintages this is obnoxious, oaky, and flabby in the mid palate for a Sauvignon Blanc, which I usually like lean, crisp, and acidic. Totally disjointed... However, there is something to be said for people who enjoy barrel fermented SB, which I actually do on occasion. If you're one of these people then you're in for a treat. This 07' has a rich golden color with a oaky nose complimented by lots of tropical fruit (mango, guava, and nectarine)... Probabaly at its best in the next year or so. Drink with something rich and buttery.
1999 Clos de L'Oratoire (St. Emilion, France) Tasted 1/10/2009 @ Luca Restaurant Carmel
Luca is a spectacular Italian restaurant in the heart of Carmel. We're talking wood fired pizzas, house made salumi, truffle parpadalle, risottos, and exquisite desserts. It has an Italian-only wine list, but we decided that it was time to try a 99' Clos de L'Oratoire. The 1999 Clos de L'Oratoire boasts a deep purple core. Brilliant dark fruits on the nose including blackberry kirsch, blueberry, and black cherry. Wow this is ripe and delicious with some chocolate and coffee as well. Such a modern style Bordeaux with lots of life left in it. There was absolutely no 'funk' in this ultra-clean Right Bank Bordeaux. I personally think this wine has hit its stride and is drinking exceptionally right now... If I had a case I would drink 6 this year and save 6 for another decade. Just beautiful and well worth the $35 Christian Adams spent on it.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree; nice note. The 2005 Rochemorin Blanc is a fresh, killer bottle of wine and a steal for $10.
ReplyDelete